Tuesday, March 24, 2009

To hell with the Kindle 2: A BOOK IS MORE THAN A TEXT

There's a new device on the market called The Kindle 2. Basically, like an MP3 player for text. I can't contain my horror. Now I realize that with all new technologies there are people who resist them, and in the end those people end up looking like buffoons; but go ahead and mark me with the scarlet B. I don't want one.



It's not just the text of a book that makes it a treasure-- it's the smell of the pages, the texture-- it's the aesthetic experience of viewing the font. The size and weight, the color... all of these things contribute to my love of certain volumes. I like that they are separate from eachother-- complete between two covers... not a file on a digital whatsit. I can lend them to friends, pencil in my reactions in the margins... I buy almost all of my books in hardcover-- especially when its something I know I will reference for many years to come.


A few examples of my treasures:







No comments:

Post a Comment