Saturday, March 28, 2009

My Flower Garden Picks... part 1 of many

There are few things in this world that I love more than gardening. I am seldom happier than when my dog and I are wandering through my gardens. Though I don't have any pictures of my own garden (because Maine looks like death in March) I thought I'd post my favorite plants to get my spirits up. My first is bee balm-- though I haven't had tremendous success with it thus far. If you can get it to survive those first few years it spreads and is quite lovely. Like it's name suggests, it attracts buzzing visitors aplenty to your garden which is good for your plants.





Begonias are another favorite, though they prefer shade and will burn right up in the sun. I usually try to keep some along the side of my house and in my new shade garden out in the back yard. They are vibrant, ruffled, and continue to bloom consistently all season.








Clematis is a plant I haven't tried yet, but I am madly in love with them. I'm hoping to add a few to the garden this spring. They are available in a number of purples, reds, and blues and are happiest in the sun.

Coneflower comes in red, yellow, or purple. They are also a sunlover, but bloom all season long. They also attract bees galore, and are great for flower arranging because their stems are nice and sturdy. I've had a lot of success with them-- they're pretty hardy.





I have to say, I wouldn't reccomend putting a hydrangea in a wheelbarrow-- but they are really beautiful plants. I just got mine last year and I can't wait to see it bloom again! It was a consistent bloomer all summer (it's called an endless summer) and it needs a LOT of water. It can do full sun, but prefers partial shade and needs a lot of attention.

Gerbera Daisies are a great, easy to grow, bright, happy flower. Though they take a while to regenerate if unfertilized, they are a sun lover and once you cut one another one is usually about a week to two weeks from blooming. They're on the higher end of the price range for an annual,

but they are worth it.

1 comment: