Friday, March 27, 2009

Borders: A place filled with evil

Sometimes you just have a hankering to see a particular movie-- a thirst that can only be slaked by watching THAT particular film. Yesterday, I had such a thirst for Wes Anderson's "The Life Aquatic: with Steve Zissou."

Since I didn't own the film, I left my house in search of it. I tend to buy movies rather than rent them because of how expensive it is to rent and because there are some movies I can watch over and over again and never tire of them.

For some reason, I headed to Best Buy first. I was sure they would have it, but after talking to 3 sales people I was informed that they don't carry it. Royal Tennenbaums? Sure-- and for 15 bucks, Darjeeling Limited? Of course! But The Life Aquatic: With Steve Zissou??? No!

I left that filthy place, and headed to Borders... where I did indeed find a copy of Life Aquatic, BUT for $32.99. I laughed out loud and placed the movie back on its shelf and left. Now, I love Borders... I do. I can't help it. I love books and their selection is incredible-- but I couldn't bring myself to pay $32.99 for a DVD, no matter how much I wanted to watch it.

So finally, I went to Bull Moose, where I should have gone in the first place, and the special edition 2 disc set of Life Aquatic was *drumroll please * 22 bucks. So, I saved ten dollars and ninety-nine cents (and Bull Moose is on the way home) going to the smaller business AND got the version of the DVD that I wanted. So, I think to myself why would Borders do that? Are there really saps out there who will pay 33 bucks for a DVD???
And then I realized the awful truth... A few years ago, Hamlet came out on DVD and I went straight to borders and paid about 35 dollars for it. I wanted it so bad, I paid a RIDICULOUS amount of money for it. Well, you know what, Borders? You're mean and I don't think you're very ethical. There, I said it. I think that you charge way too much for your DVD's and that you should apologize: not just to me, but to every poor sap who spent more than they could afford on a DVD. Did you ever stop and think, Borders? Did you? Y'JERK!

1 comment:

  1. ahhh, you bought Hamlet for 35 bucks...HAHAHHA....suckah!

    ReplyDelete